December 2017  
SMTWTFS
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31    
Bible Search
Our History

Church History

The Elk City United Methodist Church is a combination of both the old and the new. It is an excellent mixture of past traditions and new growth. To better understand the former congregations and the mergers which are so much a part of our church, we give you the following highlights of our church history.Ministers of the Elk City United Methodist Churches

The Methodist Episcopal Church (North)

In April, 1901, Rev. J. E. Keelor was sent by the Conference to the new towns of Elk City and Foss to preach the Gospel. He preached the first sermon ever delivered in Elk City on April 14, 1901. At that time, he organized a union Sunday School, raised money to purchase a tent, seats, etc., and fixed a regular meeting day for each month. On April 28th of the same year, he organized the "First Methodist Episcopal Church", the first church organized in Elk City. Services were held in the parlors of the City Sanitarium until the Presbyterian Church was built, when that society kindly tendered our folks the use of their church two Sundays each month. Later the church met in the Commercial Club and then in the Herring and Young’s Hall on South Main street.

In 1910, the Trustees of the church purchased four lots on the corner of Broadway and Adams on the site of the present Post Office. A hole was dug and basement walls laid. In 1913, a roof was put over the basement. The next few years, the congregation diligently raised funds for construction of a building sparked by the slogan. "Let’s get out of the dugout". The M. E. Church building was later occupied by the City Hall offices.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church (South)

the First M.E. South of Elk City had it’s beginning in a tent, organized December 1, 1901, on the lot where the fire station once stood at the corner of Jefferson and Third Streets. Later a building was constructed at the corner of Second and Adams Streets with Rev. A. S. Cecil as pastor in 1903. This building was taken over by the Church of Christ where in 1943 they constructed a new church building.

The Broadway Methodist Church

The First M. E. South built a new church at the corner of Broadway and Washington in 1925, known as the Broadway Methodist Church, now the location of the Homeland store. Rev. E. C. Webb was Pastor and Henry Hunter was President of the Board of Stewards.

Rev. Donald Doak was Pastor of the church when the M. E. North and South Churches were united in February of 1939, and the North congregation moved into the Broadway Methodist Church. In 1950, a new education building was completed. Rev. W. C. Mathes was Pastor and Frank Whitney was Chairman of the Building Committee.

In 1958, a devastating fire virtually wiped out this church building. The members then met in the Jr. High School Building until a new church could be built.

The United Methodist Church of Elk City

Under the leadership of Rev. March as minister, Buck Weaver as Chairman of the Building Fund Committee and Paul Wade as Chairman of the Building Committee, plans were made to build a new $425,000 church at the corner of Boone and Country Club Streets. The church was completed in 1960 and dedicated May 17, 1964, with the Rev. Dick Gibbens as minister. In four short years, the entire cost of the building and furnishings was completely paid.

A new $64,783 Schantz Pipe Organ was installed in the church October, 1968. The organ was dedicated debt-free in 1973.

The first major remodeling of the church took place during the time Rev. Jack L. Atkinson was minister, 1970-1976.

Stained glass windows were placed in the sanctuary, the kitchen has been remodeled and expanded. A Pre-School was started, along with a Kid’s Day Out program, that continue to be successful today. The Bride and Groom rooms have been renovated by the UMW. A Bar Harp was added to the organ in 1980. Three octaves of Hand Bells have been purchased. In 1981 Schulmerich Carillon Bells were given as a memorial.

The air conditioning and heating system was added in the late 1970's. The sanctuary was remodeled in time for Easter of 1984, with the altar area given more room for the choirs and layered steps of marble. On OCU Scholarship was established with Tim Thompson being the first to receive this honor. A lighted outdoor sign was given as a memorial in 1983.

In 1996, while Rev. Gary Harber was Pastor, a new Childhood Center was dedicated to care for the increase in attendance of young families. In the late 1990's and early 2000 we bought property north of the church including 4.5 acres, a barn and two houses. One house serves as the Faith Sunday School house and the other the Youth Lighthouse. This was a temporary fix for a lack of space in the primary building. We also acquired a house on Wainwright Circle to the south of the church. In the year 2001, we celebrated the 100th anniversary of the church with special services and a dinner. A new Carillon system was given in 2003. In 2004-2005, remodeling of the church was completed including the renovation of the Chapel, another new air conditioning and heating system being installed, the painting of the halls and fellowship hall, and the installation of carpet in the halls and fellowship hall.

In May of 2012, the Elk City Methodist congregation celebrated the opening of its new facility additions.  The building additions were a year-long construction project, under the leadership of senior pastor, Rev. Dan Peil, and the associates, Rev. Carlos Ramirez and Rev. Wendi Neal.  The builder was Joe D. Hall Construction (of Elk City) and the architect of record was Bill Kaighn & Associates.  We added about 75% additional space to the church facility.  The additions include a connecting Narthex between the church's existing Sanctuary and the new multi-purpose Life Center.  The Narthex is used weekly as a gathering, mixing place for worship attendees, and is also host to receptions and other events, accomodating as many as 150-200 people.  The Life Center can seat upwards of 400 people for worship or concerts, or at least 350 for dinner events;  it is a full-size gym with roll-away basketball goals, and also contains full theatrical lighting, sound, and video equipment with a generous stage.  The New Day worship service is held in the Life Center.  The addition includes a fully-equipped commercial kitchen and large restrooms.  Several other improvements to the church were carried out at the same time:  expanding and paving parking on the south side of the church;  adding a new parking lot for guests across the street to the north.  The church first had worship in the new building on Sunday, May 20, then held a Grand Opening Celebration and Open House Sunday on August 19, 2012.

Clergy Who Have Served the Church

Year, South Church/North Church
1901
A. S. Cecil/J. E. Keelor
1902 J. H. Hager/M. E. Deihl
1903 W. C Howel/Edwin Grant
1904 S. V. Morgan Pine
1905 I. N. Crutchfield Woods
1906 T. A. Lessenby/M. E. Bramhall
1907 G. R. Wright
1908 W. A. Randle
1909 " " A. G. Hammer
1910 L. K. Waller Ratner (H. O. Moore, Mathes)
1911 C. L. Herring/F. A. Gaupp
1912 " " H. P. Randall
1913 C. K. Proctor " "
1914 " " G. C. Wadding
1915 W. T. Stewart/David W. Brashear
1916 M. L. Allen " "
1917 " " E. R. Houck
1918 J. W. Trevette " "
1919 " " O. A. Pankey
1920 Harry S. DeVore " "
1921 " " J. L. Hefley (R. C. Campbell)
1922 " " " "
1923 " " O. C. King
1924 O. L. Adams/Thomas F. Walters
1925 " " A. B. Gettys
1926 " " " "
1927 Ernest C. Webb/O. B. Lyons
1928 " " A. P. Cummins
1929 " " A. S. Kattner
1930 " " " "
1931 J. L. Hinson " "
1932 A. P. Johnson/R. C. Millholland
1933 R. C. Taylor/J. M. Carpenter
1934 " " A. B. Grossman
1935 " " " "
1936 Don Schooler/O. V. Beal
1937 " " R. B. Duckworth
1938 D. B. Doak " "
1939 " " " "
1940 " "
1941 J. S. Strother
1942 " "
1943 " "
1944 George Parkhurst
1945 E. H. Grant
1946 Finis Crutchfield
1947 C. R. Thigpen
1948 W. C. Mathes
1949 " "
1950 " "
1951 " "
1952 J. C. Coover
1953 Herman Ging
1954 " "
1955 " "
1956 J. Louise Marsh
1957 " "
1958 " " Broadway Methodist Church Burned
1959 " " Jr. High School Auditorium
1960 " " Church at Boone and Country Club
1961 Richard E. Gibbens
1962 " "
1963 " "
1964 " " Church dedicated May 17
1965 L. D. Thomas, Jr. George Hohmbaum
1966 " "
1967 Howard Plowman
1968 " "
1969 " "
1970 Lee Bowles
1971 Jack Atkinson
1972 " "
1973 " "
1974 " "
1975 " "
1976 " " 75th Anniversary
1976 Glenn E. Millard
1977 " "
1978 " "
1979 " "
1980 " " Roy C. Rowlan, Associate
1981 " " " "
1982 " " " "
1983 " " " "
1984 " " " "
1985 J. C. Curry " "
1986 " " " "
1987 Dean Miller " "
1988 " " " "
1989 " " " "
1990 " " " "
1991 Gary Harber " "
1992 " " " "
1993 " " " "
1994 " " " "
1995 " " " "
1996 " " " "
1997 " "
1998 " "
1999 Daniel W. Pulver
2000 " "
2001 " "
2002 " "
2003 " " Jan Lewis Boyd
2004 " " Nancy Hamilton
2005 Daniel G. Peil " "
2006 " " " "
2007 " " Wendi Neal and Carlos Ramirez
2008 " " " "
2009 " " " "
2010 " " " "
2011 Terry Koehn " "
2012 " " Devon Krause
2013 " " " "
2014 " " " "
2015 " " " "
2016 " " " "